Thursday, February 7, 2013

OMG What have I just done?!?


You know that feeling you sometimes get, when you feel that you might have just made one of the biggest mistakes ever? Well that is what I currently feel like because I have made a promise to someone I love very much and I am not sure if I can keep it. The promise I made is to my Grandma, and the promise itself? Teach her how to use her newly acquired iPad. The year 2013. The goal? To navigate the iPad with ease in under 12 months. And so I say, Challenge accepted. 

So the 'young people' of today are supposed to be technologically savvy right? And the 'older generation' don't know a thing about computers right? Well not anymore, this blog is about my plight to transform my Grandma into a computer expert... or at least an iPad expert. For christmas in 2012 my family bought my Grandma an iPad because her laptop was too big and bulky for her to manage. When she received it, she had no idea what to do with it. It fascinated her but Im sure she we was also completely daunted by what she was about to face. I myself, was given an iPad to trial at school in year 11, with my teachers only words being "Try and break the iPad (programs/setting), I dare you!" and my class tried but we seldom destroyed them. 

My plan is that about once a week I will sit down with my Grandma and she will learn how to use her iPad slowly but eventually it will happen. Currently she has no idea how to turn it on, much less how to use it. We have decided to write in a book all the things I teach her, so that she can go back and look at it later. Step by Step I will carefully document every stage of every process I teach her and in her words. This means that the description of certain actions will be (for me) bizarre but mean something specific to her, and unbeknown to her (for the moment) I will document every twist and turn on my quest to teach an 'old dog' new tricks.

So follow along on our journey and who knows you might just learn something new!   

No comments:

Post a Comment